Skip to content
Craig's Musings

Benidorm 24 Day 22

I had been wondering about the last day for some time, how I would feel at the end, seeing good friends and my partner there to see me in.

As is my way, I already had a picture of how it would go and would start to feel emotional thinking about it. As is also the way, it didn’t work like that.

The final day was hilly but enjoyable, crossing paths with large groups of cyclists hugging the coast road with it’s ups and downs, all the while me and Terence trudging along, knocking off the kilometres. I had a smile on my face, something you don’t see with lycra clad road snakes. I had little pressure and I was going to enjoy the last 48K.

I had set an arrival time and was going to be early so had a plan to stop in Altea. As I passed down through Moraira I didn’t even mind the fact that I’d need to go back up the other side of the valley. Calpe arrived. I couldn’t ride through quick enough, although I did stop quickly to look at the flamingos in a salt lake.

Up again, and then, passing through a tunnel on a coast road I saw Benidorm in the distance.

After 1,850km, there it was, with just 15 to go. Baring a disaster, I’d made it. Altea was a nice place to stop for a coffee and a coke, a rose between the thorns of Calpe and Benidorm itself. And then we were off again through Alibir (where I would be staying), and into the city.

My destination had still not arrived, so I was beginning to wonder where to go. Little did I know, lots of flapping was happening at the other end to find a suitable place. A quick phone call sorted that and I had my orders. Google once again was my go to, which duly took me town to the promenade at the front. My first sight – a twin mobility scooter.

The shear scale of the hotels in Benidorm don’t look real, a sharp contrast to what is a beautiful beach that gently kisses the Mediterranean.

Then towards the old town where Google decided to drive me down some incredibly busy streets full of pedestrians and mobility scooters into the Old Town.

And then I heard the cow bells.

The gang welcoming me had managed to cajole some of the other bar patrons into welcoming me in. It felt good. I felt a quiet pride that didn’t need sharing. People looked at me for words of wisdom. I had none. 

And then it was done.

I’ll be writing more over the coming weeks about my experience, but for now, it’s time to relax…

And, perhaps, start planning the next one.


Recent Posts (All)